Got Mold – Don’t Panic Yet!

Just because you see mold in your home or one of your rentals, doesn’t mean you need to panic and start thinking about burning the place down (figuratively speaking). If you want the real truth, mold exists practically everywhere.

It grows on walls, in the ground, on the side of the house, in your sink drains, on kitchen sponges, in the tile grout in your kitchen and bathroom, and literallyanywhere that moisture can settle. Breathing hard yet?

Wait, before you grab the paper bag, you should know small amounts of mold are not something to panic over. At least as long you can locate the cause and remove the moldall the way back to its source using nothing more than a solution of bleach and water.

For your safety, you should know that any type ofmold can make you sick, be sure you are wearing a face maskand rubber gloves. Those with allergies and asthma are particularly sensitive to mold. Be sure to the area in which you are working is well ventilated, keep a window open and a fanrunning.

The Three Things Mold Needs

In order formold to take root and grow it needs three things. These are moisture, food, and a surface to grow on.

The best way to prevent mold from growing in your home or rental unitsis to make it stays dry in the first place. Thismeans keeping your home well-ventilated, clean, and dry. Always use the ventilation fan when showering, keep an eye on the grout between the tiles in your bathroom and kitchen. At the first sign of discoloring, be sure you scrub the grout with a bleach/water solution.

If you start to notice a damp odor in your bathroom, it could be mold growing in the sink drains. Look for wads of hair and blockages; theyare commonplaces for mold to grow. When mixing your bleach/water,the CDC says you should mix one cup of bleach to one gallon of water for the best results.

If you find mold growing on porous items such as carpeting, curtains, drywall, furniture, they should be disposed of as they cannot be adequately cleaned. In time the mold will only spread and cause those with allergies to suffer even more.

Time for the Pros

If your home has been flooded and has a heavy infestation of mold, this is not something you should attempt to take care of yourself. You will need the services of a professional mold remediation service. Keep in mind that many flood-damagedhomes are often contaminatedwith many different chemicals, human waste, and animal waste. Much of which is far more dangerous to human health than most forms of mold.

One final thought from FEMA (the Federal Emergency Management Agency), “Infants, children, immune-compromised patients, pregnant women, individuals with existing respiratory conditions (allergies, multiple chemical sensitivity, andasthma) and the elderly appear to be at higher risks for adverse health effects from mold.” An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, in other words,keep a close eye out for signs of mold and remove it immediately.